Miami… (March 2, 2020) The Archdiocese of Miami offers the following guidelines parishes can employ to help prevent the spread of contagion. The same precautions taken for the flu are also to be employed to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Because we now have 2 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the state of Florida, the following practices are suggested.
- Temporary suspension of the minor chalices used for the distribution of the Precious Blood.
- Temporary suspension of the communal Sign of Peace (kissing or shaking of hands).
- Not to hold hands during the recitation/chanting of the Our Father.
- Temporary suspension of the greeting before Mass (if your parish has this practice).
- Emptying the holy water fonts at the church doors.
- Use of anti-bacterial soap by the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion before and after distribution of the Host.
- Reminding parishioners that if they feel unwell or have flu like symptoms they are encouraged to stay home.
- The celebrant is to use discretion if he shakes hands while greeting parishioners before or after the Mass.
As the distribution of Holy Communion involves contact with both the mouth and hands, any Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion who feels uncomfortable distributing communion should be allowed to temporarily step down from ministry.
It is still left to the discretion of the communicant how they wish to receive the Host.
If circumstances should change in the coming days and weeks that require a different course of action further information or measures will be forthcoming.